Monday, August 13, 2012

USMC - I would've been a Marine, but I was too FAT

My father was from Syria and my mother was from Lebanon and they decided on moving to the jungle of the United States of America in 1981; Los Angeles.  Years later we had moved 4 hours north to Madera, CA.   I was 16 years old and it was my junior year of high school.  This was the first time that I had realized there was life after graduation.  As I started to pay attention to what was going on around me I noticed a bunch of students getting ready for college.  My parents had never told me about college; how would they know what it was like to get into an American college?  After all, they were Armenian immigrants.    One thing was certain my family LOVED the United States and felt very American.

I drove to the Marine Corps recruiting office in Fresno, CA and ran into two interesting characters.  One man was Sergeant Vernon and the other one was Gunnery Sergeant Gorsky.  Now, mind you..... I was interested in the Marine Corps because I had heard about 1,000 helicopter pilot stories from my friend's dad; Captain Terry Lewis.  He had encouraged me and motivated me about the American military.  When I walked into the USMC recruiting station I heard,"Ahhhh shit!" Then they started laughing quietly.  I walked further into the recruiting station and I heard,"Wassup my man, Ahahahaha..... Ya man, right here."  Sergeant Vernon was pointing at the weight scale while Gunnery Sergeant Gorsky chimed in with,"You're probably gonna be too fat, but I'll get down your basic info anyways."  He asked many random questions, like my address, phone number, and medical history......but he never asked me my name.

These comments had not bothered me in the least bit.  I was just surprised that the Marines weren't super human like I had been taught.  This was my first time having any interaction with Marines, besides from the neighborhood heroes.  I immediately started to assess my situation and decided that this is not the type of people I want to be around.  Sergeant Vernon spoke as if he was an announcer with a drum roll from Gunnery Sergeant Gorsky,"Twoooooo Hundreeeeeeeed and Thirt Teeeeeeee Fiiiiivvveee pounds!!!!"  I put my shoes back on and without uttering a word I slowly walked out of their office and looked toward the other recruiting stations.  It was 9:00pm and the other stations were already shut down for the evening so I went to Taco Bell and stuffed my fat face before going home.

While I was at home the remarks of the recruiters started to bother me.  I knew I was fat.  I knew I needed help.  I knew I wasn't ready to be a Marine, that's why I was there........and my fu*kin name is George Ohan sir.  At 11:15pm I heard a knock at my door at home and when I answered it Sergeant Vernon stood there with a packet of paperwork in his hands ready to be filled out.  I did not invite him in because I was confused of his arrival.  He told us that the USMC had opened up a few slots with weight waivers, blah, blah, blah.  He started getting very aggressive and rude.  A few minutes later my father asked him to leave and Sergeant Vernon said in a very stern voice,"Sir you need to understand that this is America and this is how the system is.  He needs to come with me to Sacramento tonight."  Sergeant Vernon would rather have me go to the Military Entrance Processing Station and fail the height and weight requirements than to disqualify me as an applicant.  Needless to say, my father was not happy and kicked him out of our home.

The next day I went to the Army recruiting station and came across a Soldier by the name of Staff Sergeant Shenefelt.  I'm not going to say he was the best guy or Soldier in the world, but I can say that he took the time to help me.   I walked into the recruiting station and before he asked me any questions about weight, medical, or law violations he asked about my interests and educational goals.  He KNEW I was fat, just like I did.  He also knew to look past that for a moment.  By the time the meeting was done we had put together a workout plan and assessed that I had to lose 65 pounds to qualify for the Army.   I showed up the next afternoon after school and he took me for a run that nearly killed me.  It was just what I needed.

I lost the weight.  I joined the Army.  All I needed was some motivation from a LEADER outside of my family or close circle of friends.  If you are a person in a power position it is imperative to always be the LEADER.  It took a 10 minute conversation for an Army recruiter to recognize my potential and he gave me a shot.  I strived in the military to be named as "Top Soldier" on many occasions and went on to earn numerous awards and commendations while serving active duty in the U.S. Army.  I had also reached the rank of Staff Sergeant (P) promotable before deciding to become a civilian again.

The point I'd like to make is that I did not let the actions of a couple of people that were not representing the Marine Corps the way they should've been determine my future path.  My reactions to their less than honorable behavior is what set the tone to my future success.  I KNEW I was fat, that's why I went to the Marines......for help.  If someone comes to you and expresses a need, it's probably true and worth further investigation.  This can apply for any situation.  Sometimes people just want to talk.  Someone may suffer from PTSD, low self-esteem, depression, etc... If they're reaching out to you please be a friend, be a mentor, be a leader.......just be there.

Sergeant Vernon and Gunnery Sergeant Gorsky, You were right.  My weight prevented me from wearing the same uniform as you.  No hard feelings though.  I served this country honorably for eight years active duty as an Army Soldier and I feel very privileged for having an opportunity to do that.  Currently I help ALL military branches find work in the Film & Television field through an organization called Vets on Set.  I am also the alumni president for veterans at Los Angeles Film School.  Oh ya, I also belong to a group called Veterans in Film & Television located in Hollywood, CA..... not bad for a FAT boy huh?

Thank you for taking a moment to read some of my thoughts.

Very Respectfully,

George Ohan
George@SignatureXavier.com


@Fresno_Famous

OhanGeorge on YouTube






















2 comments: