Sunday, July 5, 2015

Defend La Playa - Art project - Toa Baja, Puerto Rico

RANDOM THOUGHTS BELOW:

"Defiende La Playa."  I saw several signs like that posted on 4th of July in Toa Baja, Puerto Rico and I was inspired to see what they were about.  It turns out that a small group of people are trying to save their beach from plans of a boardwalk being built on it.  As an indie artist I took this opportunity to create an art project to help spread the word of what’s going on.  My good buddy Mr. Jax was on location making sure that everything was under control while I was working.

Whoever posted those signs inspired me to have many thoughts and things to happen very quickly…..  The next morning after seeing those signs I went back to the beach and started this project.  I encourage anyone to take action on the things that you’re passionate about.  You never know who will be inspired by your passion and enthusiasm about something.  It took me 4 hours to gather: coconuts, bamboo, palm tree leaves, and other beach wood to use as the materials needed to create my art project.   Thank you for the exercise mystery sign poster!  Over 20 people stopped and asked me what I was doing, so I had a chance to explain to them about “Defiende La Playa.”  I also took this opportunity to ask them to join us at Team Red, White & Blue, Puerto Rico and help out with a trash pick-up day at the beach.   

*I taught my rescue dog Jax how to swim in the ocean for the 1st time today. 

LIFE LESSON FROM NATURE:  Seeing new trees blooming from coconuts in the sand really got me to think about trusting the universe to do exactly what she does best.  Producing life and showing us how faithful she will always be.  Faith.  Those coconut shells are very hard, so the amount of work it would take for one to break through and become a tree is massively difficult….. but, there were 100’s of coconut trees thriving, just like every person should be doing.  THRIVING!  Trust in the universe.

I chose to create the project in Spanglish to show Americano support for the cause.   That’s why it says “Defend La Playa” instead of Defiende.  The best part was being able to photograph the creation after I finished.  I had one of those weird photographer moments when I realized that I forgot my wide lens at home, but I got over it and made it work with what I had.   Overall, I had a GREAT day!  I will say that this project was hard to do.  At the end of the day I was mentally and physically drained, but I feel very accomplished for completing something that I started. 

A guy named Kenneth told me that he was inspired to join a clean up day at the beach after he saw me building my project.  In exchange I let him know my goal was to have at least 1 person ask me about what I was doing out there.  It was cool to see “Art” working full circle.  I know that my project will be washed away by the ocean, but that was going to be my excuse for not building it.  I asked myself, will it make a difference while it exists?   Until it exists, we would never know.  So, I went to work with passion. Now the image of my piece will exist as a piece of Toa Baja, Puerto Rico history.

#DefiendeLaPlaya #DefendLaPlaya #ToaBaja #PuertoRico ToaBajaPR

We gotta start somewhere......

I wanted to quit and act like I never even started this project when I realized this was going to take commitment.  My integrity didn't allow me to do it.... AAAAND, Mr. Jax was watching me.
Ok Ok now we're getting somewhere!

Only the strong survive

The universe does it again.  :-)


Spelling with coconuts...

Mr Jax watching over the stash.

He was feeling himself!

His good side.

DEFEND La PLAYA

#Bamboyz 

Selfie - Artist - George Ohan

Defend La Playa

No comments:

Post a Comment